Sunday, August 30, 2009

Respect your elders?

I have always been brought up to respect your elders.

If you are in the way of someone always say sorry and move out of the way. Always be polite. Treat others how you would want to be treated.

But it seems the elderly have forgotten this.

Yesterday, I went for the weekly food shop in our local Asda. I was in the salad isle and in the way of 4 elderly people. I moved out of the way and said sorry as I would normally do for anyone.

All 4 of them walked past me and fucking ignored me as if I wasn't there.

Rudeness like that pisses me off, so after the last person walked past, I made a point of saying at the top of my voice (just in case they are deaf) "You're welcome". They carried on as if I was invisible.

The elderly are quick to judge the younger generation and slag us off for not thanking them for fighting in the war all those years ago.

I know I owe my a lot to the men and women who put their lives on the line and indeed the many people who lost their lives, but to say thank you for being let through doesn't take much and wouldn't hurt. No-one would think less of you for being kind.

So how about dropping the poor old elderly bullshit and start treating the younger generation with a bit of respect and then maybe you might actually get some niceties back in return.

No comments: