Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ging Gang Gooly

My daughter has asked to join school friends in a 3 day school trip next year to a PGL venue.

I had a meeting on Wednesday 17th June to learn more about the activities and accommodation. I was getting excited and jealous as I wanted to go and act like a kid for a few days :-)

I love activites such as archery, fencing, hiking, quad biking, canoeing, etc.

I was stunned at the list of items the kids are going to have to take. They have to be able to carry the bag themselves.

What they need to take...
  • Nightwear
  • Underwear
  • Socks, over ankle length
  • 2 or more fleeces/sweatshirts
  • 3 t-shirts
  • 1 long sleeved t-shirt
  • 3 pairs of old trousers (not jeans) 2 for activities and 1 for evening
  • 2 pairs of shorts
  • 2 pairs of trainers 1 for wet activities
  • 1 pair of shoes or trainers for indoors
  • Waterproof jacket
  • baseball cap/hat
  • Swimwear
  • 1 set of disco clothes
  • Wellington boots (field study groups)

Other essentials are...
  • Sleeping bag and pillow
  • Wash bag
  • 2 large towels
  • Torch and batteries
  • Plastic bottles for drinks
  • Sunscreen
  • Pen and paper
  • Small bag/rucksack
  • Labelled plastic bag/bin liners for wet clothing

How are they supposed to fit all this in a bag and be able to carry it? They will only be 10 years old.

The whole meeting last night reminded me of the time I went camping when I was a kid. I remembered sitting around a camp fire singing songs and toasting marshmallows on sticks. That was the best bit. Gunky, gooey marshmallows.

So you can imagine my horror when I heard that because of FUCKING HEALTH AND SAFETY, they children are allowed to sit by a camp fire (not too close mind because they might get burnt), but they are not allowed to toast marshmallows as that is now extremely dangerous.

The teacher has also asked for our permission to give the kids a comforting hug if the children are crying as they are home sick or ill. I have to give written permission for the teacher to also be able to give my daughter a paracetamol (that I provide as a just in case). My daughter has been diagnosed with suspected IBS. I have to give written permission for the teacher to give my daughter her medicine if she needs it.

Am I the only person who thinks that this world/government have gone crazy that it has now got to the stage where I as a parent has to give written permission for a teacher to look after my daughter.

Why has everything become so shit?

1 comment:

Dick Puddlecote said...

You want health & safety in schools? I'll give you health & safety in schools